Tuesday 30 October 2007

Hypothyroidism, Insomnia & Problems Sleeping


Hypothyroidism

I've been reading up on other less well known symptoms of Hypothyroidism, mainly to see if some of the problems I'm experiencing are linked to thyroid disease itself.
Recently I've been having trouble sleeping, if I wake up in the night there is just no way I can get back to sleep, heart palpitations & what I can only describe as mild anxiety attacks about stupid things (when I'm lying in my bed unable to sleep!).
Now, I was thinking that perhaps I was overdosing on thyroxine & my thyroid was going into overdrive, hence the palpitations, sleeplessness, etc.
However, if you've been reading any of the rest of my thyroid posts you'll see I've been having a desperate battle to try & lose weight.
Surely, if I was indeed overdosing I'd be hyperthyroid & losing weight as a symptom of this????
Interestingly, what I've found out is that in some cases of hypothyroidism sufferers have what is termed a thyroiditis attack, the common symptoms of which are anxiety, panic attacks, heart palpitations, swelling in the thyroid area, problems swallowing, and frequently, problems sleeping.
Also, thyroiditis attacks classically happen during the night!
The thyroid itself become inflamed & pain can result too.
Suggested treatments are ibuprofen as a pain killer & for its anti-inflammatory properties & calcium/magnesium for sedative effects before going to bed.
I'm going to give this a month's trial & see how my thyroid symptoms go as the no sleep is driving me nuts!!
If anyone else has any information, please feel free to post your comments.

Thyroid Disease - hypothyroidism - hashimotos

p.s. still on the diet, going well, getting to the gym & managing to keep at it!

5 comments:

Thyroid mum said...

Hi there, glad to find another Hashi's sufferer on blogspot. I've linked your page to mine. We can moan together.
Sheridan

patricianyc said...

hi, i have hashi's & i've been experiencing exactly what you wrote about. it stinks!! one day @ a time. have a very happy 2011!!
patricia

Shirley Donalds said...

There are too many nutrients are taken out of our food. Thus we need natural thyroid supplements and iodine is one that a person may very well be short of in our bodies. Received in record time.

Chris Vickerson said...

Ha I know it is has been 5 years since you posted this but I am desperately dealing with this problem. Did the ibuprofen work?

K(: said...

I know just what you mean.i am 16, and have only got about 3-5 hours of sleep all month. I am trying a natural sleep aid. I think it might be working but it's to soon to tell.