Monday 14 May 2007

Coconut Oil & thyroid Function Disease

I'm looking for other natural therapies & treatments which may help me feel better.
I have to say at the moment that exercise is my number 1!!
When I don't exercise (& yes, I know it's a real pain to go to the gym at times, especially when you'd rather watch TV & eat chocolate!) I definitely feel more lethargic & experience lower moods.
The one therapy I was thinking of trying is coconut oil & wondered if anyone out there had tried it & with what degree of success?
I have read that coconut oil is not a thyroid cure by itself. However, it allegedly can help people with low thyroid function because it stimulates metabolism and boosts energy. Coconut oil contains medium chain fatty acids which is a different type of fat. Also known as medium chain triglycerides, medium chain fatty acids are known to increase metabolism and promote weight loss. It can raise basal body temperatures while increasing metabolism. Used in combination with other factors, coconut oil has the potential to greatly improve thyroid system function. According to some of the info I've been reading coconut oil has even helped many people end their dependence on thyroid medication (no more tablets - hurray!)
Anything that has the potential to shift the blubber gets my vote!

2 comments:

Shirley Donalds said...

When I first started treatment for hypothyroidism and had to switch my dosage to natural thyroid supplements . Hypothyroid started to stabilize.

islandgirl said...

My insurance no longer covers medication, therefore my doctor doesn't return my calls to prescribe the synthroid he put me on against my wishes.(I had great results with Armour which is pig thyroid). I used virgin coconut oil to remove my makeup, fry and agg and use as a spread on my toast before I read that is was good for thyroid function, but I was taking the Synthroid. My schedule at work had changed getting me out of routine and I have been out of my medication for three weeks. For four days I didn't use my coconut oil and found myself tired to the bone and sleeping 14 hours a day! Then it dawned on me I hadn't been using the coconut oil. So last night I thought I would take a spoon full of coconut oil before going to bed. I got off work at midnight, fell asleep at 1am and woke up at 3am. I was wide awake and I found my body racing. I stayed up all night. I was sleepy but not fatigued and desperate for sleep. I had another dose of coconut oil at around 10am and its now 4pm and my eyes are bearly sleepy and I haven't been "starving", like before. I'm going to monitor myself closely and see if the mystery has been solved. Aloha!